Twitter has achieved tremendous growth in the last few months and a poll conducted by pluGGd.in (http://www.pluggd.in), India’s leading technology site reveals how Indians are using Twitter for.
http://www.pluggd.in), India’s leading technology site revealed the ways Indians are using Twitter for.— Twitter has achieved tremendous growth in the last few months and a poll conducted by pluGGd.in (
While majority (17%) of users are still figuring out what do with Twitter, those who use it regularly are using Twitter as a news channel/service (16%).
Summary of Poll Results
The poll, conducted over a period of 3 weeks (across 1100+ members) has interesting statistics that reveals the general awareness about Twitter in India
- 16% use Twitter to stay updated with news
- 11% prefers to stay in touch with Friends using Twitter.
- 11% enjoy updating their status (gives them Ego boost)
- 10% use Twitter for Research
- 17% are not at all sure of Twitter usage.
- 14% of the members polled are not on Twitter
- 12% of the usage happens on work related areas.
- Only 10% use Twitter to meet interesting people
Is Twitter a threat to social networks?
Only 10% said they use Twitter to meet interesting people, but the network effect is surely a potential threat (11% use Twitter to stay connected to their friends).
Insights from the poll
The poll allowed people to choose 2 answers and here are some of the significant inferences:
- 68% of those who wants to stay updated with news also chose ‘stay in touch with friends’ : essentially, these are heavy users of the system and are influential netizens.
- Strong overlap (73%) between a fraction of netizens using Twitter for research purpose as well as work related.
- 30% of netizens have no clue about Twitter – they haven’t registered or if they have, they are still figuring out how to use Twitter.
- Twitter for social networking? Only 10% said they use Twitter to meet interesting people – so in all reality of the hype, Twitter isn’t a threat (in the near future) to social networks.
“Twitter popularity in India is primarily driven by the buzz created by media and it’s interesting to note that majority of Twitter usage is work related/research purpose giving the tool a wider meaning than microblogging. Moreover, Twitter is still being experimented for different reasons (global phenomena) and expect more use cases when it reaches the common mass, via sms integration” – said Ashish Sinha, Chief Editor of pluGGd.in.
Source: Press release distribution via India PRwire
Notes to Editor
pluGGd.in is India’s leading website focusing on small businesses and hosts quality content for Indian Entrepreneurs and Small Businesses. The site has an active community which comprises of startups, venture capitalists, CIOs, marketeers and early adopters of technology.
The survey report analyzes opportunities and challenges in the social networking space in India and has graphical details. For a copy of the detailed report, get in touch with chief editor : editor at pluggd.in
For more information, please contact: